Friday 4 July 2008

I'm going to focus on Adler

I'm finding as I'm part way through a couple of grammars that I'm not doing a good job of pronouncing the vocabulary to myself in a consistent way. That's making me have to "relearn" words in a way as I'm hearing them spoken on the CD I got for Lingua Latina and hearing the Latinum podcasts. Though I realise they aren't use the same rules between them. Some of my internal attempts have been WAY off. Having then thought about it more I now realise that all my native pronunciation is probably based on "hearing" the words pronounced more than from deriving it correctly from seeing the words. So for me I think it will be a huge help to focus more on learning from sources that also have audio available than only working with a written text. So I think I'm going to focus on Adler and Lingua Latina and them come back to some of the other grammars later as additional practice once I feel I am pronouncing most of my vocabulary consistently. I think I'm going to try and stick to the way the words are pronounced on the Latinum podcasts. Now I hope I can find somewhere that has greek audio using the same approach that includes the tonal accents as I'd like to handle pronouncing accents consistently between both latin and greek to make it easier on myself. So as an aside, if anyone knows where I can find that type of greek audio samples I'd love to hear it. Back to the original topic, I'd be happy to do a combined adler/wheelock as that is sorta what I'm going to be doing anyway.

1 comment:

o1mnikent said...

There's a new Greek Audio Bible available from Logos Bible Software. It highlights the text as you hear it read, similar to Karaoke. I thought you might be interested.