Monday 28 January 2008

A waste of time?

Question:I am going into my Sophomore year of highschool and I took Latin 1 H. I ended up loving it, not finding it extremely challenging, and getting my best final grade in Latin, an A+. I am planning on taking Latin all 4 years of school, and I plan on taking Ancient Greek for the next 3 years as well, in hopes that it will be a challenge. (From what I hear, the other, more standard languages offered at my school are not as difficult as Latin, and I don't want to just take the easy way out, thank you very much) Do you think that taking these languages is a waste of time?

Answers:
A waste of time? If you were purely utilitarian, you'd have taken a course in plumbing, not Latin. Of what use is poetry? or Painting? Arguably, none whatsoever.
Latin and Greek have some of the greatest literature written in the history of civilisation. To be able to connect to that, and to the fountainhead of Western Civilisation, in a visceral way, makes learning Latin, and Greek well worthwhile.
Of course, as you already know, having a good knowledge of Latin means you can pretty much make of sense of any Romance language newspaper, and it is a short hop to learning another Romance language.
Have a look at the latinum podcast - you could use it over the summer to speed up your Latin, and start to teach yourself to speak (yes, speak) latin.
http://latinum.mypodcast.com

No comments: